|Welcome to Government Victoria College|
|Few colleges in Kerala can boast of a tradition as rich and varied as Govt Victoria College, Palakkad. It has established itself as one of the most distinguished centres of higher learning in the State. Although the college was started as a Rate School way back in 1866, the institution rose into prominence as a college of renown in 1887 when a great philanthropist, Sri Nellissery S. Narayana Iyer donated land gratis for the construction of this noble alma mater. Since then the college has had a tradition of principals who were excellent academicians and administrators and students who were always eager to strive hard in the pursuit of knowledge. Today, Govt Victoria College occupies a peak of prominence among the cultural landmarks of this scenic district, if not of Kerala. It is spread over a campus of 25 acres punctuated by the imposing buildings housing various departments. The clock tower in the campus, the popular college maidan with its Victorian giant tree offering shade to one and all, and the towering Sri M. Krishnan Nair Gate, are just a few of the major attractions of this college.|
The institution was started in the year 1866 as a Rate School as it depended for its finance upon an educational rate which was at that time levied by the Local Government. In 1871 the local Fund Act came into force and educational rates were abolished; the school was taken over by the Local Fund Board.
In 1877, the school became a Government High School and in 1884, it was handed over by Government to the management of the Municipal Council, Government paying the net charges of the college. In January1888 the high school was raised to the rank of a Second Grade College and was affiliated to the University of Madras. The Municipal Council resolved to work the institution on the salary grant system from 1st April 1894.
A new block of building was erected in 1901. In 1913, a hostel with a beautiful quadrangle and furnished accommodation for 100 students was opened and in the next year further addition to the college buildings was completed. The college was taken over by the Government of Madras on Ist April 1919 and raised to the First Grade from Ist July 1925 with provision for teaching History and Philosophy. In1939, the college was affiliated for teaching B.Sc. in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. In July 1950 B.Sc. Courses in Botany and Zoology was introduced. A new Science block was completed in February, 1951.
With the introduction of the three-year Degree course the intermediate course was abolished and the Pre-University course was started in 1956. As a result of the formation of Linguistic Provinces, the college was affiliated to the University of Kerala in 1957. Post-graduate course in English Literature and Statistics and pre-professional course in Engineering and Non-Engineering were started in the same year. Postgraduate course in Zoology was started in 1958 and Physics in1960. Pre-Professional courses abolished in1966 and in 1967 students were admitted to the first batch of Pre-Degree class with commerce subjects. The M.A. course in Economics and M.Sc. in Botany were started 1970, M. Sc Chemistry and B.A Tamil in1978 and M.A History in 1979. Vocationalisation of Degree Courses was introduced under UGC assistance in B.Sc. Zoology and B.Com. in 1996.
The College celebrated its centenary on a grant scale in February 1968 based on the starting of rate school, again it celebrated Centenary in the year 1989 based on the starting of the college. After the implementation of UGC Act in1990 the Last Batch of Pre-Degree was delinked in 2000. The college is currently affiliated to the University of Calicut with 11 Post-Graduate Courses and 15 Under Graduate Courses in Arts & Science subjects and recognized as a Centre of Excellence by the Government of Kerala.